Looking for something to do around town this month? Your friends at The Alice Maxwell Team have got you covered on every front. From movie screenings to book clubs to trivia nights, Tuscaloosa is buzzing with summertime fun!
Museums, Parks & Outdoors:
Every Saturday in July (and June and the first weekend in August, to be fair) Moundville Archaeological Park hosts “Saturday in the Park.” The events themselves are free with admission to the park. Each Saturday offers its own focus.
- July 13 – Flute Making with Charlie Mato-Toyela
- July 20 – Pottery Firing with Tammy Bean
- July 27 – Cherokee Textile Making with Cat Sloan
Summer Saturdays also host “Screen on the Green” at Midtown Village from 8-10 p.m. Open to the public free of charge, event descriptions say the only thing you need to bring is yourself, your family and a lawn chair or two.
- July 13 – Dumbo
- July 20 – Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
- July 27 – A Dog’s Way Home
- Aug. 3 – Moana
Local museums are also hosting specialty events this month for Tuscaloosa’s youngest residents.
- Saturday, July 13 – Super Shark Saturday at Children’s Hands-On Museum from 9-4:30
- Wednesday, July 17 – Lego Day at Children’s Hands-On Museum from 10-5
- Saturday, July 20 – Comic Book Chaos at Children’s Hands-On Museum from 9-4:30
- Saturday, July 27 – Secret Agent Saturday at Children’s Hands-On Museum from 9-4:30
- Saturday, July 27 – Bama Bug Fest at Warner Transportation Museum from 4-8 p.m.
Live Music, Theatre & Local Life:
For those more inclined to nightlife, grab a drink from your favorite downtown spot and head over to the entertainment district. Every Friday night in July, Government Plaza’s stage will pour out live music for the “Live at the Plaza” series from 6-9.
- Friday, July 12 – The Orange Constant
- Friday, July 19 – Ryan Water and The Locals
- Friday, July 26 – Black Tupelo and Cotton Bird
In addition to the city’s live music series, local businesses, theatres and, of course, the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater are hosting their own events from trivia to makeovers to performances.
- Friday, July 12 – 90’s Movie Trivia at Replay’s from 7-9 p.m.
- July 12-21 – “Grease” at Bean Brown Theatre
- Tuesday, July 23 – Nelly, TLC and Flo Rida at Tuscaloosa Amphitheater at 7 p.m.
- Friday, July 26 – 30-minute makeup sessions with Urban Decay at Ulta from 11-6
- Saturday, July 27 – The Southern Momma Comedy Experience at Bama Theatre from 7:30-9:30
Book Clubs, Readings & Book Signings:
For Tuscaloosa’s book lovers of all ages, book signings, storytimes and book-centered events are aplenty this month.
- Thursday, July 11 – YA Book Club featuring “We Hunt the Flame” at Barnes & Noble from 7-8 p.m.
- Saturday, July 13 – LEGO Event featuring Harry Potter at Barnes & Noble from 2-4 p.m.
- Monday, July 15 – “We are the Gardners…in Tuscaloosa!” at Ernest & Hadley Booksellers from 10-noon.
- Tuesday, July 16 – Book Club featuring “Mrs. Everything” at Barnes & Noble from 7-9 p.m.
- Friday, July 19 – Storytime and book signing with Lee Zee at Ernest & Hadley Booksellers from 3-5 p.m.
- Saturday, July 20 – Book signing with Gary Cosby Jr. at Ernest & Hadley Booksellers from 10-noon.
- Saturday, July 20 – Graphix Con at Barnes & Noble from 2-5 p.m.
- Saturday, July 27 – Book Signing with “The Canvas Adventures” author T.G. Bryant at Barnes & Noble from 11-2
- Wednesday, July 31 – Harry Potter Book Club at Barnes & Noble from 7-9 p.m.
In addition to the events listed above, Barnes & Noble also invites parents and their kiddos to join them at Storytime every Saturday from 11-2. The same is available for infants and their parents at Baby & Me Storytime on Sundays from 11-2.
No matter where your interests lie, Tuscaloosa undoubtedly has an event for you to enjoy this month. Take yourself around town and fall in love with this wonderful place we call home. The Alice Maxwell Team can’t wait to see you around!